Tag Archives: quilt challenges

Challenges are to learn from

Standard

My local quilt guild has a challenge each year. It is announced each February and is due at the November meeting. The challenge this year was to make a quilt with two colors, it may be two color families, and must contain one ‘square in a square’ block somewhere in the top.  Oh, there was a size limit. It could be as small as desired but not over 250 inches overall.  It was the size requirement that messed me up.

When I hear the challenge I thought great! I have a red and white quilt top I made a couple of years ago but had not yet quilted it. I waited until June to pull it out of the cupboard and measured it. It was 6 inches too large on each side.  Now what?  I do still have the red and white fabrics I used.  I’ll just make a smaller version.  A smaller version would make all the triangles and borders smaller in ratio and that would really be a lot of work.  I decided keep the size of triangles the same but have fewer of them and I would leave off the 2 outside borders.  I made the quilt top over the summer. I still had to refigure the measurements of the triangles to fit the new size. I ripped out one side of triangles three times to make it fit.  Where did I go wrong?

I used my Statler Gammill long arm to quilt the top. It was a learning experience to place a design in the center block and ‘trim away’ the design from the applique in the center of the block. The next learning experience was to flip the design for the triangles for each direction. The lesson I am the most pleased with is to divide and trim the triangle design to fit in the split half triangle area of the border. The quilt may not be the most pleasing proportionally but it was an out of my comfort zone learning experience.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Standard

Image

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. In the mid-Atlantic it is just another snow day. 9 inches fell during the night and everything is closed until we can dig our way out again. We really hope this is the last snow storm.

I last wrote of not being able to accomplish much sewing but the last 3 weeks have been nothing but sewing.  I completed a baby quilt and two small wall hanging  (26” X 22”) challenge quilts completed. I belong to the Mason Dixon Quilt Professionals Network. Every two years we have a challenge which is often exhibited at major shows. This challenge theme is US Modern Era – 1914 – 2014. I choose space exploration as I have an Uncle who worked on the Saturn rocket engines. The second quilt I made had to do with Television. I created a Television with many iconic show titles on the ‘screen’. This project was fun but hard to make the choice of which titles to include. There were so many to choose from.  If you have chance to see our exhibit I’m sure you will enjoy it.